Pucará de Tilcara is a fortress built by the tilcaras at a strategic point on the Quebrada de Humahuaca, in the Province of Jujuy, Argentina (aborigines decided to fix their residences on the top of hills or difficult access plateaus).
It is located 1 km south of the city of Tilcara, on a hill, 80 m high / next to Guasamayo River and the Rio Grande confluence, which runs there at 2,450 MASL. It was an ideal place to defend against attacks; It dominated two roads crossing and on one side was defended by cliffs on Rio Grande and on the other by rough slopes. On accessible slopes they built high walls.
Pucarás not only had defensive purposes but also social and religious. From this height, surrounding fields and peasant dwellings on low ground could be controlled.
It is one of the most important and known of the ancient prehispanic populations of Humahuaca region. It has an area of ??8 to 15 hectares and approximately 1160 years old. Pucará identifies several neighborhoods, corrals, a necropolis and a place for sacred ceremonies, among other spaces.
The pre-Inca ruins and lively festivals are just some of the highlights offered by Tilcara. On outskirts of the small Argentine city, Pucará de Tilcara attracts archeologists and tourists who are curious by ancient civilizations. Pucará de Tilcara, stone ruins of a tribe of warriors, provides an insight about triumphs and daily battles of people who prospered in the area for more than 10,000 years ago.