The Antonio Vespucio Liberti Stadium has been the scene of unforgettable moments of glory and drama, also known as Monumental Stadium or Monumental de Núñez, it was 80 years since it was inaugurated in 1938. It is a stadium owned by Club Atlético River Plate located in the intersection of Figueroa Alcorta and Avenida Udaondo avenues of Buenos Aires neighborhood Belgrano.
It was inaugurated on May 26, 1938 by President Antonio Vespucio Liberti who decided on its construction; hence its name. It is the stadium dedicated to football practice with greater capacity, the largest in Argentina in addition to having an athletics track. Traditionally it is the place where the Argentine National Team plays. Although it is known that its capacity is 76,000 spectators, there are records that have entered more than 80,000 people in important matches, such as in the last match of the 1959 Copa América between Argentina and Brazil, and the final of the 1996 Copa Libertadores between River and the America of Cali. In both cases, more than 80,000 people attended.
On the side of the stadium is the River Plate Museum, where the history and passion of the Nuñez club is shown. Inside, different sectors are covered with shirts, trophies, audiovisual material, images and testimonies from players. There is also a river sports and souvenir shop and a theme bar. From the museum every hour the guided tour of the River Court, with which you go through different areas of the stadium as the changing rooms, press room, visitors, stands and trays.
The Monumental will always be remembered for the 1978 world cup where Argentina receives the great joy of the complete party in its own courtyard when crowned world champion in hard times of dictatorship.